Loyal Readers

Friday, 1 March 2013

I didn’t do anything…..I just made her smile





Yesterday I was having my lunch at the mall, which is opposite to my office. I was starving so I thought to consume heavy Punjabi food. I placed an order and occupied a table. It was a food court on the top floor of the mall, most of tables were occupied by families and some of them were occupied by lovers and college students. Within ten minutes creamy mutter paneer, naan, jira rice & dal covered my table and I started munching food to subside my appetite.

Suddenly, my attention got deflected by someone’s shout. I gazed on my right and I saw well suited & booted young manager shouting at an aged lady who was cleaning the tables and clearing the used plates.

My rice spoon stopped and attention diverted to their steamy conversation. Lady seemed to be in her late fifties; her pale face was artistically covered with wrinkles and lines.
Young manager who was in his late thirties shouted at her

‘Why these tables are messy? Why you haven’t cleaned them?’

Lady said in her low voice, ‘Sir, I went down to throw garbage’.

He said, ‘I don’t want to hear any lame excuses, if customer would come where they would sit?

I was stunned at this, there were around 50 tables in the food court, and hardly few tables were occupied. Only these two tables were messy and manager is saying where customers would sit?

Lady gazed down on the floor.

‘If you don’t want to work then let me know, don’t just roam around and pass you time. I am giving you first warning’ he said as he pointed a finger towards her.
‘Sorry sir’ she said while sighting down.

I was amazed at his behavior; he walked away and winked at his colleague. He thought he used some smart managerial skill to control his staff.
Very next moment I stared at old lady, she looked disappointed as she turned around I saw tears in her eyes. She sobbed and quickly wiped her tears from her shoulders and got back to work.

I resumed my lunch while eating I gawked at her she was disheartened. I could easily make out from her body language. I was thinking that how easily manager wiped out her beautiful smile in just five minutes but how long it will take now to get her smile back?
I was under my thinking process when she moved toward my table and took away my plate. I looked at her but she didn’t look at me. She just walked on to next table.

I quickly grab a tissue paper lying next to me, I pull out my red pen and wrote “THANK YOU” with little a cute smile on it and put 20 Rupee note in tissue and fold it.


I walked toward her and said, “This is for you”. I gave her folded tissue containing 20 rupee note and I walked away from that place even without looking at her. I stepped toward the escalator to go down and very next moment I turned around as I placed my first step on escalator and she was looking at me with Big Smile on her face.


I request you to share you feedback here.

Your constant 'Support will be my 'Triumph'.


20 comments:

  1. take a look at my blog as well
    http://its-about-photography.blogspot.in/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey very well written Ashish and I really feel making someone happy is most noble work so i use to say Keep Smiling Always.:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved the story :)

    Good work..keep it up..Hope to hear another story from you soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Its touchy ...
    Good work .. Hit perfectly at that emotional angle...
    Keep it up.. Ashish..
    Hope to read more from u...

    ReplyDelete
  5. hey bro
    awesomely written
    a good deed always comes around
    proud of you :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good work.. Beautiful story :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. very well written....good luck for next..!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Its nice that you thought of writing this n what is nicer is that it tricked your mind..n you wrote the most simplest yet very special n beautiful story..

    ReplyDelete
  9. U have concious! It shows u r in literal sense alive.

    ReplyDelete
  10. beautifully written! :)

    *Sharmistha Mitra*

    ReplyDelete
  11. i realy dont regret waitin here.. reading da story:-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. very interesting...very touching...loved it

    - Ketan Bhagat

    ReplyDelete
  13. Really Inspiring... Smile all it says:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dear Ashish,
    Along with Power and Authority comes responcibility,In Our society every one is hungry for power and money, but NOBODY is ready to take responcibility that's the main problem,We see this in every day life......
    I have seen many difficult times in life so I never misbhave with any of my juniors or the staff, On the Mahalaxmi Bridge I have seen many small children below 10 years lying hungery,There is nothing I can do but to distribute Banana's and a few packets of biscuits,I loved my parents verymuch, they are NO-MORE,I have spent a long time abroad and missed them,I am very happy when I meet the parents of my friends and I search my parents in them, time will go But LOVE AND HUMANITY WILL REMAIN.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I guess what u did make her day .... and watching smiling her again make ur day : )

    ReplyDelete
  16. U played ur social responsibility well. N i am impressedby the way u captured the moment. These incidents usually go unnoticed by public.

    ReplyDelete